August 2010

Friday, August 21, 2009

London Chapter 2-- Family History

When we started planning our trip to London, Amber asked us to figure out what we wanted to see while there. In my pondering my mind went back to my growing up years when my mother had been doing genealogy research. I knew that many of my ancestors were from Herefordshire, England and had heard stories about their lives. William Cole (my great-great-great-grandfather) and his family were among those taught and baptized by Wilford Woodruff in 1840 in a pond on the farm of John Benbow. The Gadfield Elm Chapel and John Benbow’s home were places that Wilford Woodruff preached. William Woodward (my great grandfather) lived in Herefordshire. Great-great grandfather Henry Talbot was christened in St Margaret’s Chapel, Westminster Abbey. These were all places that we were able to visit. I was so touched to reconnect to my ancestors by being at the places that were a part of their lives. I wondered how many inches down was the actual dirt that they walked on! As I looked out over the countryside, I wondered if and where I crossed their paths. I know that they are a part of me and that they made many sacrifices for me to be what I am today. I am so grateful to them.

Scott, Amber and I at the Gadfield Elm Chapel

Amber at the Gadfield Elm Chapel



Scott at the pulpit.


Upstairs we found quite a selection of clothes from the 1840s. We each took a turn with the hats.!






John Benbow's home.

Benbow Pond
Scott and I at Benbow Pond.


Amber at Benbow Pond.



Benbow Farm countryside, Herefordshire




... at Westminster Abbey ... at St. Margaret' Chapel.



Amber took time to go to the temple while she was in London. In some ways it became her home away from home. These pictures are taken there.

No comments:

Post a Comment